Monday, February 12, 2007

BOHEMIAN DIARIES

"How is it possible to feel nostalgia for a world I never knew?
What do we leave behind when we cross each frontier? Each moment seems split in two; melancholy for what was left behind and the excitement of entering a new land. "
- Che Guevara




I was watching Motorcycle Diaries with my friend Carlo the other day, this great movie by Mexican director Walter Sales. The movie chronicles the travels and adventures of South American key figure Che Guevara before joing the Cuban revolutionary group. We were kinda prepping up ourselves because we will be embarking on our own journey in the next few weeks. Nope, I'm not joining the red army in the near future but just like Che I'll be living the nomadic and spartan life of a backpack traveler for the next three months. This dream of travelling turrned advocacy have occupied me for the last few months- hence the absence of entries in my blog.

The last three months saw me cramming all my work and assignments so that I don't leave any projects undone. I already asked permission from my regular clients if I can be excused for the next ten weeks. This will be different from my last year's sabaticcal because I'll be with friends this time. We're all in it for the journey and for the life realizations that it will impart to each and everyone of us.

10,000 kms on land, 10 weeks, 9 border crossings seems like a long journey - five souls lost in transition hoping that each will find what each is looking for in the end. My other friends are actually asking me why the long travel again - what am I looking for this time? I travel because I long to discover. I don't know what I'm looking for but all I know is that by the end of the journey I'll be able to fill the void or something. It's always a good learning curve for me.


I travel because I still can. I have the time, I have the strength. That's what's important. Time is running out I feel. I'm not getting any younger. And the adventure and the thrill of setting foot on another land is what keeps me going. Trekking on the highest of altitudes, walking the hottest of deserts, living the most spartan of life, interacting with people whose only similarity to you is that you both celebrate the very meaning of life... I don't think I'll be able to do this if I'm in my midage.

I don't see myself joining the busload full of tourists. I travel for the thrill of it.

I am in a rush and this can only be fixed by a bohemian trip where I am allowed to charter my own course and to follow my own road. It maybe the path less taken but I'm sure it'll all be worth it.

For the next few months, I'll be posting a series of entries about the great trip which I am about to embark... the diary of a true bohemian.

I'll be with other travellers this time and just like Che said - "This won't be a tale of heroic feats. It's about lives running parallel for a while, with common aspirations and similar dreams".

Join us in spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jp,

super inggit ako sa inyo grabe. naiiyak nako.

geng

Paolo said...

gengkukay,

marami pa tayong daang tatahakin...
gagawa tayo ng sarili nating mga landas,
may mga pasikot-sikot,
maaring magkasama tayo sa mangilan-ngilan
pero ang importante'y magkahiwalay man
ang ating tahakin
sa dulo'y magkakasama tayong magtatapos
sa daan ng pagtatagumpay.

mabuhay ka ate geng! =)