Monday, September 18, 2006

CLARK WAS A SURPRISE

I spent my weekend in a mall… to be more specific, in Clark Pampangga. I've gotten myself into more things that I can handle again. I was the over-all head for a big event to celebrate the 200th store opening of a fast food chain. Not that I've no background in events, I've done a few but only for bars around Makati before. And usually just to promote a small group. So this was something that I did't really had the slightest idea how difficult an event I was getting into.

We arrived early Saturday morning to survey once again our location. We booked in the afternoon in Fontana and went back to the mall to prepare the Sunday's event. After 3 hours of sleep. I had to push myself out of the bed to try starting the day right. First of my tasks was to facilitate a motorcade that will go around the municipalities of Angeles and Mabalacat. Armed with the local hagads and around 10 cars, I had to see to it that the approved route was followed. That was easy, but the challenge came in the afternoon which was in a form of a Mini-fair. I had to coordinate and closely monitor 6 booths. I had to get an overview of the traffic of the mall, plus handle the main event, which was a chorale competition from 6 participating schools. On top of that I had to head more than 200 people involved in this event.Wheew!!!

A friend, who was into events, said before that I'll be getting myself into trouble if I insist myself into taking it. He said that I'm being short-changed. He said that I'm actually doing the work of three people. But I did it anyway and the event was ( I don't want to make yabang but) actually a success. The turn out was apparently one of the biggest in Clark. I was pretty proud about it. There were glitches but the sheer volume of the people who participated more that made up for our shortcomings. I again proved to myself that when you really put your heart into it, no job is small or big enough to stop you in pursuing your goals.

Having said that – I don't think I'll involve myself again with these type of projects… certainly not my cup of tea. My boss was very happy with the turn out. She said that the client is already planning for a follow up. I just smiled at her.

No comments: