Tuesday, September 12, 2006

WEAVING MEMORIES

Had a great time in Baguio last weekend. It was, for a number of years my Vacation Place of Choice. As far as I can remember, we always go to Baguio ever since we were young come Sembreak, Christmas and Summer. I have lots of fond memories there. I have pictures from the grand Hyatt building when it was still up, the immaculate Mine's view park when urban decay wasn't still ostensible, the chilly morning air from the pseudo-busy streets of Session, and oh... the fried ice cream. I miss them a lot. Those are the memories of childhood that give me the goosebumps whenever they come back to mind. A good old sense of nostalgia to better spell it actually.

My mom asked me if I can attend an office seminar for her company. And since I'm also partly-part of her company, I just really had to give in to her request. Plus it was also her birthday weekend, and it'll be a great way to spend it with the family together with Aeon, the first apo, the present muse of the clan.

The seminar was actually a good experience for me. The modules where all about proper management of business and taking use of a team's full potential. It wasn't your regular seminar, there were lots of activities actually. The three days were subdivided into a number of physical. mental and emotional tasks and modules. There was even an Amazing Race Type, in our last day, we got to be a chambermaid in the Manor, dance with the igorots, do boat rowing in Burnham, rapel on a 150 foot drop, get to slide down the flying trapeeze, check out a cemetary at a fullmoon. A lot actually. I wasn't actually quite sure what I was getting into and how will these help my marketing skills but during the process of analyzing the activities, it actually hit us how these extreme activities parallel our busy ives at work. It was also great that I got to spend time and bond with other people out of my circle. It was great to be grounded and meet other types.

I had another day free to spend with the family. Got to really enjoy John Hay again this time. The last time I was here was roughly a year ago with another friend. Baguio's a total different world for me. For the last few years I always usually go to Bora for fun with friends. Baguio is a place where I feel more at home though, maybe because I grew up going here with family. My idea of a Baguio Morning is the brunch in the Comissary, or Sunday mass at the cool pink parish, or strolling at the palengke to buy fresh produce to be cooked by mom come lunch time.

There's this sense of tradition, sense of family. I know that I can always go back here 5 years, ten years, or even twenty years from now and even though the look of the place may change, the sense of belonging will still be there.


My niece Aeon


A trip to Baguio will not be complete without riding the love boat...


My Sister gamely poses for the camera.



Baguio Trinkets for the shabby chic.


A side trip to Luisita for late lunch.

I had the grandest weekend. And I'm pretty sure there will be others to enjoy...

(Photos were taken using the Canon 350D. A great new toy... hehe. Check out my other photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohemian_child/)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haven't been in baguio in a decade.. i wonder how much it has changed since then..