Sunday, March 12, 2006

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

I'm proud to say that I have conquered the great Mekong River.



The journey migh have been the most tedious and the most ardous part of my journey so far but it was definitely worth every single Thai Baht that I have paid. The adventure is definitely one of those "must" in one's life.


The Thai- Lao journey took more than 33 hours all in all. I woke up early in Chang Khong, Thailand - at around 7:00 am I was having a full breakfast knowing that the journey will be long. At 8:30 I was in the border already, having my passport stamped for exit to Thailand. I had to cross the river to the Laos border which was at Houaxai. Took the jetty boat and was in the border after 10 minutes.

It took a bit long for me to get my Laos entry stamp because the immigration guy thought that I forgot to get a visa, but he wasn't familiar maybe with the Philippine passport and when he double checked he understood that as a Filipino I didn't need a visa to enter.

At 9:30am I was in the boat already. I was so excited. The imagery that has come before me was immaculate. The great river separating the majestic hills of the two countries was one of the best views I'v ever set my eyes on.




There were a number of backpackers who joined the boat and everyone was busy with their camera trying to document the amazing sight.



The boat was really uncomfy, the hard slab of wood is literally a pain in the ass so I had to get my jacket to sit on it the entire journey.



We arrived in the small village of Pakbeng, Laos at around 6:00pm just before the sun was about to set. I had to check out my backpack because there was just so many kids running to me to ask if I needed help with my bag. I said I was ok and started to ask for directions for some of the guesthouses. The village was really very nice, it was up in the hills and the climate was a bit chilly. The electricity though runs only from 6-11pm.

A couple of Irish backpackers (I met them during my busride to Chang Kong) asked me if I wanted to join them with their friends for dinner so eventually I did. We had fun talking about the difficult but rewarding journey to Laos, and ordered a couple of Beer Laos to end the night.




Then a couple of teen Laos joined are group asking if we were ok. I noticed that they were the same guys running my guesthouse. We all nodded yes and thanked them for their warm hospitality when the Laos boy asked if we needed to smoke, we all knewwhat they were refering too. We politely excused ourselves, I was thinking though that I could have said yes if the trip to Louang Phabang the following morning wasn't early, but the boat will leave at 8:30 and if I want to get a good seat I should be in the boat by 7:30.

It was funny because the boy was bent on inviting us, asking if we want ganja, or opium, and I really think that it was this that made Pakbeng famous to a number of young backpackers.

I was tipsy so I best decided to go to bed at 12:00midnight. It was really dark because there was no electricity anymore. I manage to wake up at around 6am, got a good breakfast and went to the boat as soon as possible.



The journey to Louang Phabang took us 9 hours, the journey now was more comfortable because the boat was larger and there were less of us because some of the backpackers decide to stay for a few more nights in Pakbeng.







I reached the lovely small town of Louang Phabang at 6pm, had a great dinner and checked out the great night market near the Palace. I got some gifts for my new niece, I called my mom and she told me that the girlfriend of my youngest brother gave birth a few days ago to a healthy young girl - Aeon. I'm so excited with the news so I got a number of trinkets for her.

I'll be waking up early tomorrow to check out the young monks that made the town of Louang Phabang famous.

More stories of my adventure soon.

No comments: