Sunday, October 29, 2006

WHAT MAKES A LANDMARK?



We just finished shooting the Carillon docu-drama, and despite the few glitches in scheduling the talents, the day went pretty well as planned. This was quite special for me because I haven’t directed a narrative script in like four years. The last one that I did was for a friend’s graduation film for the film school in UK. That film was shot in its entirety in Ilocos, using 35mm.

I always considered myself as a diehard “film” purist, but judging with the results that I saw with the docu-drama, now I couldn’t give a damn if it’s shot in film or digital. My cinematographer did a great job, Mo made me a convert and I can’t wait to really explore the medium. I love the glide-cam, this new toy that Mo Zee invested to get that superb fluid handheld shots. I saw its full potential in Yon Fan’s COLOUR BLOSSOMS, I was inspired by the movie and it’s good to know that these camera movements are achievable even for low-budget indie-productions.

Carlo, my production manager, was able to get a good ensemble from the U.P. theatre group. Their range impressed me. We didn’t really have enough time to rehearse and it was great that they were able to deliver. Kudos of course to the lead – Ms Boot’s Anson Roa. It’s very surreal for me because I can still remember that the very first film that I saw in the bigscreen was a movie where she was also a part of - “P.S.I LOVE YOU”. I’ve directed a number of actresses before but she’s just really amazing. It’s just sad that she’s not given the meatier roles that she deserves.







It was already around 4:30 in the afternoon and we were racing with the available light that we had so I had to finish the sequence in an hour and a half. I was blessed with two great actors so we were able to close the sequence just before it got dark. Miss Boots was already in tears and when I asked her what the matter was she told me that the scene got into her and that it was great to reminisce the days when she was still a student in U.P. The Carillon was a very special landmark for her.

It’s always good to reminisce the days that have passed especially if there are landmarks to help you bring back those precious memories. I usually have this tingling feeling everytime I passby Cubao for example, because I grew up in Quezon City and we’d usually spend our weekends in Fiesta Carnival and or catch the latest movies in New Frontiere. both establishments are not there anymore but the buildings are still there… one can’t help but remember the formidable days that have shaped ones upbringing.

What makes a landmark? Does a place have to be historical? Does it have to be a place where heroes were killed, bloods were shed? Does it have to be a place of importance? I honesty think that the term is very subjective. If a place brings back special memories or if it evokes the familiar feelings that once have been part of ones history then it can be referred to as a personal landmark. Just like the kaimito tree in our ancestral house in Pampanga, where me and my cousins would usually spend our summer break, or the McDonald’s in Greenhills where my mom would bring us after school for merienda, or the C.O.D store where we’d usually watch the Christmas show, or the street in my parent’s place where we’d usually play patintero with the neighbor kids. It may all be trivial to others but these places are special to me because these represent special moments in my life. One may not share the feelings that I had with these places but that doesn’t mean that they are less special than the Monumento or the CCP for example.

These are my landmarks… these are the foundations that keep me grounded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love reading this :)..