Friday, November 18, 2005

A RATHER BLAND MORNING, A REWARDING AFTERNOON AND AN EVENING WELL SPENT

Woke up late.

San and I had to rush, we only had 10 minutes for breakfast because the buffet closes a bit earlier than your usual hotel breakfast buffet. The food here too was kinda bland. I usually am not very particular with food but for some reason, the breakfast (chicken sausage, hash browns, baked beans and scrambled eggs)… was boring.

Then off we went to Suntech. There we met up with the boys. Two of them actually just arrived, and less than two hours before the match, they went straight to Suntech from the airport to fight with one of the toughest teams to beat. The WCG qualifying rounds for Counter Strike more than made up for the disappointing breakfast. It was exhilarating. I was doing the camera and my hands were shaking when the Philippine Team was battling it out with the Finnish team. The boys from Finland were apparently one of the bests in the tournament and they were actually eyeing for a bronze at the very least.

But the Pinoy boys wouldn’t throw the towel in just yet. It was a close match and after a lot of swearing and a lot of testosterone spilling, we got into the second round. The boys couldn’t believe it themselves. They were actually here just for the exposure and they didn’t even think that they’d be able to play in the semis. Then again, good things happen when you least expect it. Everyone was ecstatic. I too felt the sense of pride.

Come dinnertime, Camille, San’s best friend met us for a few beers. I haven’t seen Cam’s in years. Here she is, a permanent resident of Singapore already, producing for one of the biggest studios in Sim City. After studying in Singapore for three years she was able to get a good offer and she decided to stay. For a moment, I kinda reminisced about my stint in London as well. After finishing my studies in U.K. I had some offers to work with small companies there. Eventually I did, but after working for less than a year I opted to go back home. I have no regrets though. My five years of working in Manila was all worth it. But sometimes I can’t help but think about the “What ifs”.

We ended up with a big group- San, Camille and I with some Asian gaming journalists. After getting some beer at the bar infront Suntech, Cam brought us to this cool bar up north. Little Asia is the highest bar that I’ve been to I think. The bar is situated at the 70th floor of one of the hotels there. It offers a good view of the Singaporean Skyline. I’m impressed. Such a small city but the progress here is just amazing.

I wanted to get tipsy but the drinks were just damn too expensive (700 Pesos a mix). So after a cocktail we all decided to hit the dance floor. We met these two cool guys - Dennis and Chester. Dennis, a Singaporean who has his own company, which specializes on in-flight entertainment and Chester, a Chinese-Filipino, based in Japan and working for an I.T. firm. It was a “POP” night and the crowd was a bit older. I didn’t mind.


The past two days were so boring that I didn’t care what music was playing, I just really have to dance and go to a club. I haven’t been dancing to pop for the longest time so it was such a welcome break for me. And when GNR’s anthem track played… I banged my head to the music and sang at the top of my lungs with everyone…

“She's got a smile that it seems to me. Reminds me of childhood memories. Where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky. Now and then when I see her face ... Woh, Sweet child o' mine.”

Singapore’s not that bad after all…

No comments: