Saturday, February 25, 2006

FAMILIAR MOVES, FAMILIAR PHRASES...

Day two in the City of Angels.

We attended the talk/ tribute to Anthony Dod Mantle. He's one of the great cinematographers around, with the following movies under his belt- Fetsen, Dogville, 28 Days Later and Dear Wendy. I saw all of these four movies and I really like the way he composes his shots and do his mise en scene. The discussion went well but I wasn't really contented because some points weren't really much discussed, like how is it in the European film industry? How different is the filmmaking proccess in Europe and Hollywood? How's digital photography perceived in the big studio set-up?The discussion was really more about his works and the directors that he had helped in his career.



Nevertheless, the talk was still inspiring and I gotta learn a lot. I didn't join the screening of Millions because I saw it already so I decided to have a time-off for myself to check the place out. The Siam Paragon, where the event was being held was very impressive. It's like their Greenbelt but more massive, and a bit more people friendly I think.

After the stroll, I went back to the hotel to change. I'm meeting a Thai friend Thanaut to check out this bar called DJ STATION. It's their version of Bed and I wanted to check it out. I never knew how big the place and the scene is till I got there. The place is massive. Three floors and everyone was having the time of their live dancing. I got excited of course but the excitement kinda went down afterwards. I don't know, I told myself that this was the very same reason why I didn't want to go out in Manila because it has almost became a routine. Familiar moves, familiar stokes, I really think that I'm getting to old for partying.

It's interesting to see the faces and the moves. It really is universal. Everything is so familiar. From the occasional glances, to tapping someone's hand, to the more vulgar "accidental" groping of someone's crotch. I can't help but smile. Thanaut introduced me to his boyfriend Mark, an Australian backpacker who's been in Bangkok for 6 weeks now. Then after a drink or two of their local cocktail, I began feeling tipsy. Then this person started tapping my hand. I kinda looked away to signal that I wasn't interested. I went up to the third floor to check the place out from the bird's eyeview. To my surprise the person followed.

The person's attractive don't get me wrong, but I really think that It's not in my itinerary to hook up. And I'm just so tired with the "Wham Bam Thank You Mam" thing. The person started speaking in Thai and I didn't know what the freaking thing the person was saying so I said "I'm going down". I was kinda scared because I didn't know whether this person was trying to pull a scam but this person didn't look like it. The person's dressed well, but then again, looks can be deceiving. The person followed and still continued talking in Thai. Then I saw Thanaut and told him about the person. He talked to the person and he said that the person wanted to get to know me. I kinda signaled to the person that I have to go home. Which I really did have to, because I have an early day tomorrow. And with that, the person asked "Top or Bottom?". I must have fallen because of what the person said. I mean, the person didn't say anything in English the whole time the person was trying to converse and the person's familiar with the words, (to my surprise) Top and Bottom.

And with that I said goodbye to Thanaut, his boyfriend and the "makulit" na person. I went to the hotel and went staight to sleep.

Naloka aku dun ha.

No comments: