Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A NEW WORLD

Bangkok is a place where wonders never seem to cease.



We got up early to get some stuff in Chinatown which we will need for props in the film. The Chinese culture still amazes me wherever I go. They seem to have this sense of community and pride to wherever country that they decide to live.

Last night was a great treat because I was able to check out the local boxing stadium in Rachadamnoen. There were around 6 fights and I saw four of them then I had to leave to meet the group for late dinner.

The fights were tad bit graphic for me but I did really enjoy it. The testosterone level was so thick I swear I could box it and give it as pasalubongs if I wanted to. I also like the kitsch element behind it. The dance, the chant and the short shorts.

It'll be an early day tomorrow. We'll catch the three hour bus to the ancient town of Ayutthaya, 80 km north of Bangkok. We'll be shooting in the neighboring village for two to three days.


The set-ups are really easy. The script is just one page and the script cuts back and fort from the village to the busy streets of London. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford the trip to U.K. so Justine will get another friend to help them out. After Ayutthaya the group will go back to Bangkok. Justine has to be in U.K. by next week to shoot the remaining set-ups.

I have another agenda though. I told Justine that I'm staying behind to further go up north and travel six hours to the old province of Sukhothai and then maybe catch a train for another 10 hours to go further up in Chang Mai. I decided, maybe on a whim, that I would want to keep travelling and see where my limited budget will take me. It'll be a modest way of living I know but I'm sure that I can manage. I've been doing a lot of reading and they said that for less than $10-15 a day, a backpacker can actually sustain himself.




But my ultimate goal though is to go to Laos. I've been reading about the Mekong River since a friend of mine from U.K. took the slow boat to cross the Thai border to Houayxai and to Louang Phabang in Laos. He told me that it is definitely an experience of a lifetime. The grand adventure takes two days and the traveller has to catch a boat in the border - a wooden carbo boat that travels through the great Mekong river.



I 'm actually excited to check it out. He warned me that it's not a convinient trip but the sights are definitely to behold. I've been packing my bag already. And I think I will take the trip when I reach Chang Mai. It's good to know that Philippines has signed a visa exemption with the government of Laos to promote eco-tourism.

My feet can't wait to take the journey. And I'm taking that giant leap already. I took out my wristwatch and decided that where I'm going, time isn't a luxury, it's just a part of life.

The wind will lead me the way.

No comments: